cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Slaninar
I have a flashlight holder on my bars. I use both a flashing LED lamp, and a strong beam LED headlight that stays constantly on. It is a winning combination for me. During daylight, the flashing LED grabs drivers' attention and they don't pull in front of me. Perhaps they can't judge my speed (it's hard even with a steady light, since bike has a very narrow profile), but they SEE me coming. That's good enough for me.

Just to stress once more that it's hard for the human eye to judge your speed if you're coming toward the beholder, not moving laterally. So light on steady, or flashing doesn't make much difference. With cars it's easy, we subconsciously measure the visible distance between the two front headlights (about 1,5 meters) and by how big it appears and how it increases, we judge speed. With bikes that have lights too narrowly (one, or two mostly 50 cm apart), that's not possible.
I agree. And your comment about cars is spot on. This is why I really don't like jeeps where they don't place the headlights at the outside of the width of the car. It makes them appear further away than they are.

Cheers,
Charles