View Single Post
Old 11-09-12, 09:41 AM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
The problem for us with the Bike Friday is that it doesn't fold for instant convenience, and from what I gather reading blogs and even BF's own site, reassembly and disassembly of a BF would take me as much time as an diamond frame bike would. Recent issues with cracking and breakages of the steerer tube on one of their models also is a worry.
It is FAR easier and faster to pack a Bike Friday NWT into its suitcase and reassemble it than a diamond frame bike. And one important note is that the Bike Friday will be securely packed into a suitcase which is under the current airline maximum dimensions which avoids a hefty surcharge. Also, the NWT model does fold instantly, but it remains fairly unwieldy to carry compared to a Brompton or the Bike Friday Tikit model. I have been able to fold my NWT and take it on trains which don't allow regular bikes. The same with a few buses which didn't have space for a regular bike.

The steering tube issue is a red herring. It affected only the Tikit model, and only a few bikes at that. BF quickly moved to alert owners and fix the problem.

Most importantly, the Bike Friday NWT is DESIGNED to be a touring bike and performs like a touring bike. The other folders simply do not. If I were getting a bike I wanted to ride mainly in urban areas and easily take on public transport, I would get a Brompton or a Bike Friday Tikit. But for any real touring, there simply isn't anything out there that performs like Bike Friday's models.