Old 11-10-12, 09:20 AM
sherbornpeddler

Bikes: 3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Ashland, MA(?) to Cumberland? And you spent a week trying to get through Woonsocket one day.
The Blackstone is paved from Woonsocket (at least) down to rt123 and somewhat beyond. I've ridden it up to Woonsocket but never ventured further. Perhaps that's as far as it goes northward. The southern end has a few spurs, but the main route crosses the river between Cumberland and Lincoln, dumps out at Ann&Hope St, then continues. My commute (possibly done for the year) jumped off there and picked up rt123 into Attleboro. I've ridden the Blackstone further but haven't tracked carefully where it went. I believe the intent is to connect it to the East Bay.
More Blackstone postings!
WT2, I've made the ride from our area down to Woonsocket and Greenville and a certain French tandem bike did the equivalent from Dover, MA to the Pawtucket Resevoirs in Cumberland which eventually flow to the Blackstone River.

I ride the Blackstone only a few times a year and enjoyed visiting the Smith Appleby Museum several weeks ago. It WILL connect Worcester to Providence. There are complex plans to connect Pawtucket through Providence to East Providence and the East Bay down to Bristol.

Last night I had opportunity to walk across Boston Common with two young fellows and told them about the previous owner, William Blackstone who, depending on who you believe, was ripped off by Governor Winthrop and wound up re-settling in Rhode Island which then became attractive to the freedom seeking Roger Williams and the site of the American Industrial Revolution on the Blackstone River.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
File Type: jpg
Blackston Fall 2012.jpg (97.7 KB, 14 views)