Old 11-11-12, 02:45 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
Speaking as a UK-based cyclist, I have to say it doesn't bother me. It's just a manifestation of the well-known phenomenon which sees people posting on blogs, forums and other social media extreme and provocative views that they may hold, but would not express in such terms in circumstances in which they could be held accountable. Unfortunate, but there is nothing to be done about it.

I am more concerned by the mainstream media response, which is along the lines of "if even Bradley Wiggins can get hit, it just goes to show how dangerous cycling is for less expert cyclists", ignoring the fact that in the UK more than twenty million miles is cycled per cycling fatality. So more people are deterred from getting on bikes (or, worse, from letting their kids get on bikes) when actually they are at greater risk of an accident when in their own homes.

As for Jeremy Clarkson, the man is a tit. However, he makes his living from being deliberately offensive, so the best thing to do is ignore him rather than react.
The question is, which is the bigger risk, being hit by a car when cycling, or not cycling and dying of a cardiac arrest, because your arteries hardened from not enough exercise?