View Single Post
Old 11-11-12, 06:28 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrome Molly
Rides from most boring to most interesting this weekend.
- First an hour on an indoor cycling bike before sun up.
- Later that afternoon, 20 miles on my usual Afton climbing route (liking the Sugino AT on the trek 630 with the 28 granny, but need to fix a creaky bottom bracket - which is a new sealed unit, this is perplexing).
- Finally another 8-10 miles riding yesterday on an old three speed Huffy mixtie getting around the gun club (I was a supervising range officer, so needed to bounce from range to range all day to keep tabs on things). Pulled the mixtie from the scrap bin where someone had left it for recycling, fixed a couple things, pumped up the tires, viola). Sort of odd, me riding a green mixtie around the club against the backdrop of hunters and the constant gunfire. Yes, I took some guff for it, but would do it again. Love those old three speeds, and it beat walking for sure.

And good luck through the hurricane, to those out east.
Sounds like fun, especially riding the mixte at the gun club! Besides, taking a little guff builds character. As far as old three speeds, I'm a fan too. Give me 3, 4 or 5 speeds any day. It's really all most people need. BTW, I've been riding a purple CCM mixte in the computrainer classes I've been doing with my wife the last few weeks. It's been a character building experience for sure, but despite the "limitations" of an old 12 speed bike against the much more modern bikes in the class, with 9 and 10 speed rear clusters and mostly triple chainsets, I've done exceedingly well. In the final heat, I managed to place third, less than a second behind the other two guys.