NeilGunton
Crazyguyonabike

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LindaB
I still get a "security warning" advising me not to go to the site... as do most of the people to whom I've sent the link to my most recent trip. Sure wish that would go away!!
That means you are getting the temporary "website down for maintenance" page which I put up during the move. I couldn't get the ssl certificate to work correctly with the temp server, still not sure why, but that's the reason for the warning you see - your browser thinks the certificate doesn't match the website you're trying to load. I'm really sorry you're still having problems accessing the site. Unfortunately there's not much I can do about it, since these DNS servers are caching the old address and there's no way for me to tell them "Hey here's the new address" - it only happens when they ask for it, I can't actively push it out to them. All I can say for certain is that this WILL eventually resolve itself, the DNS servers will get the new address and then you'll be able to see the site again. But how long it will take any particular DNS server to refresh its cache is anybody's guess.

In the meantime, if you want to get proactive about it, then the workaround is to change your computer's internet settings to use different DNS servers, e.g. Google runs some at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 which seem good, they are the ones I use and the address for the server updated quite quickly there (I think it was 12 hours). The procedure for changing DNS servers depends on your platform, but a bit of judicious googling should lead you to tutorials that can take you through it step by step - e.g. search for something like "how to change dns server" and google suggests a bunch of platforms in the dropdown menu. Add your platform to the end of the search, e.g. "how to change dns server windows 7" and you'll find very specific instructions on how to do that.

Learning how to change dns servers is a useful computer skill to have, since sometimes an ISP's default dns can be rather slow - and slow lookups can make your entire internet experience seem sluggish. Also, if your default DNS server has some issue or is otherwise unavailable, it can be useful to know how to switch to a different one. OpenDNS is another good option (just google it).

Hope that helps,

Neil