View Single Post
Old 11-15-12, 10:16 AM
chefisaac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by eofelis
Since a couple people asked about our rude tourists we had stay with us this year:

The couple, who were on a tandem, I guess weren't too bad. They were middle aged, established in their careers. I sort of thought they acted condesending towards us since we don't appear to be very prosperous. We live in an old apartment. The young folks don't seem to care about that sort of stuff at all.

They guy, middle aged, from the midwest, we accomodated on very short notice. He was on a beat up LHT. We have a personal bike shop in the basement and my bf likes to do tune ups on folks bikes. The LHTs chain was totally run out. They guy had picked up a new chain, but it was an 8sp. We have some 8sp bikes in our fleet, so we swapped him a 9sp chain for his 8sp chain. His bar end shifters were toast, held together with wires. We had a set of DA 9sp dt shifters we said we'd sell to him. He said he didn't have cash on him, could he pay us later? Ok, send us money when you get home. (In the past we'd lent some items to a NZ tourist who carefully mailed them back to us before he left the US.) So the time went by til when he said he would be home. Sent him some emails reminding him that that he owed us money. He finally replied with a snarky sarcastic email that had no indication that he'd pay. We sent some more emails after that and never heard from him again. It was only $40, and we don't mind giving stuff to folks sometimes, but not someone like him. That all sort of left a bitter taste. I guess other folks we met, who were really great, make up for jerks like that.
Thank you for sharing your experience. After reading through the Warmshowers site, a lot of stuff and scenarios have gone through my mind. We were lucky with David perhaps.

I put myself in their shoes and if someone opened up their homes and lives with me, I would be so grateful to them for life. My grandfather and grandmother used to tell us stories about picking up hitch hikers back in the day. Some they were still friends with for the longest time. Most were nice,, some rude as heck and now, they would not considerate picking up any due to increase crime rate in that area.

I look forward to hosting more. You feel better taking them out to dinner, letting them shower, and such but not staying with us, not at this time at least.