chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nightshade
Your foot numbness is called neuropathy and is a classic sign of diabetes. (That hot spot is a classic symptom of neuropathy!!!!)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001784/

Get tested for diabetes ASAP so you can get treatment to control it better. AGE matters not for diabetes.
Or he could just require a wedge to make a varus adjustment, which corrected my problem with cycling shoes and outer foot pain & numbness on my right foot.

To the OP, try some LeWedge cleat wedges or the insole wedges that you can get with the Specialized BG insoles. As mentioned by others, a shoe that is too tight (or just has too narrow a toe box) is also a potential cause...in my case it was both.

For me, finding cycling shoes that I like in a wide size can be a PIA, but sometimes just going a size or half size bigger also helps.

FYI, I had the same issue with platform pedals long before they ever dragged me kicking and screaming into clipless.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Last edited by chipcom; 11-15-12 at 05:34 PM.