View Single Post
Old 11-18-12, 07:44 PM
John Forester

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cruiserhead
I don't see it that way at all. But I appreciate this perspective on it. It's thought provoking.

I see it as giving cyclists more priority on the roadway. Roads cannot be widened in the urban setting so these lanes would replace car lanes.
To my eyes, this tells people that cycling is valued and has priority.
Visually, the "world" is not all about cars and get out of the way if you're not one.

Not all roads can have buffered lanes, but that attitude shift will certainly carry over to shared traffic roads. With more cyclists, it also curbs motorists "own the road" mentality as well.

I also like the fact the cars are kept "to the center" and away from pedestrians as well.

When I see the video, the idea that a family can ride bikes- kids and all- on a busy, main street through NYC- with complete safety, it's pretty neat.
It is also attractive in that it is relatively quick and inexpensive to make these kinds of changes, where the city is re-purposing exisiting roadways with road paint and barriers.

Also, the reason there is no growth in cycling could be that there is no infrastructure that supports or encourages it. Despite that, people still do it and at least in my area, it is growing.
If buffered lanes were widespread, i know even more would use it.
You simply have not yet understood the meaning of my words. You say kids can ride on cycle tracks in complete safety? You clearly know nothing about car-bike collisions and their statistics. You need to study traffic engineering before you make such statements.