Old 08-21-05, 02:30 PM
slide
Riding a bitsa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by backinthesaddle

I do limited upper body work in the gym 1-2 times / week, I've always found some upper body strength is good for cycling, too much may be inappropriately topheavy.
You must have been very serious about lifting to get top heavy. I am a shiney newbie to bicycling, but do have some b/g in conditioning and noted that in the TdF, Lance had the best upper body development of all the featured riders. That's by a long shot. Others looked like skels up top. I don't know his routines or philosophy but when I was distance running, thought was moving from upper body strength was a hinderance to the idea that it helped. Again, up to a point.
Originally Posted by backinthesaddle

Slide suggested getting my body composition checked monthly. I'll be a newbie on this one: I don't have the foggiest idea how to do this or who to go to do this, or how expensive it is to do it. Any help would be appreciated. Would the same people who do this check be able to guide me to an appropriate body weight?
Call gyms in your area asking if they measure body fat using calipers. Many think immersion is better, but I'm not sure. I do know that calipers used consistently will be great in telling you of your progress losing body fat. Since you belong to a gym, don't they have this service as part of your membership? IF not, I'm surprised.