Old 11-21-12, 12:00 PM
waynesulak

Bikes: Custom 650B tandem by Bob Brown, 650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My earlier post on the original thread at

(http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...00-Ride-Review)

pointed out the possible losses due to additional drive train complexity. Merlinextralight's point that the losses would be small is a good one as my post pointed out a possible estimate is 1% of stoker's power which in most cases would be less than 0.5% of total power. For most of us this in so little power that not only can we not feel the difference but it can't easily be measured. The stated error on commercial power meters is much larger than that.

To me this is similar to a small weight difference. Sure one saddle may weigh more than another and that extra weight will definitely slow us down but to us it is not significant compared to the utility of the more comfortable saddle. We ride a 36 lb tandem because we want the features that result in that weight and happily pay the cost in speed that weight brings. I think it is great that ICS is out there for those that want it just like 24 lb tandems and tandems with S&S couplers. Choice is a great thing.

Wayne

Last edited by waynesulak; 11-21-12 at 12:06 PM.