View Single Post
Old 08-21-05, 09:17 PM
biodiesel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
>"Some people think that two locks are heavy and a waste of time. Let's face it - stealing a front wheel will be easy whether you secure it with a cable or not"

small point here...
What about the bic pen lesson? What happens when the $75 lock turns out to be a dud? Then even if my other lock is easy to break, it's not succeptable to the same flaws.
This lesson keeps rehappening. Before the bic pen debacle it was small metal shims that would pop the mech, or the simple twist of soft u-locks or one specific brand of lock that's found to be sucepptable to some simple tricks.
I used to use Master Cuffs until i read about a simple trick to pop them. But i always used an xtra lock.
Again, i'm not competing with NYC theives with grinders but with the average bike thief (not that high tech...) I would have foiled the bic pen thieves, the Master cuff poppers or the early u lock twisters or shimmers. I know i've outdone some cable cutters, lock smashers, pin hammerers etc. So far i've had 3 attempts at stealing my bikes that were foiled by a second lock. Also, i got in the habit of checking my front wheel when i parked at work (downtown Denver) overnight (night shift) cause i found the QR open, but alas the cable saved my wheel.
And weight wise... mini u lock and a cable. Not that heavy at all.