Old 11-24-12, 08:09 AM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jxpowers
So i have this annoying squeal on my brakes, I bought 2 pairs of kool stop salmons and they have been squealing for about a week now.
I have tried to sand the rims, then sand the pads, then i washed the sand off. All 3 times they squealed so i tried to add a little lube on the pads that worked but that was a short term solution since the squeal came back.

Then I read about toeing in the pads, which i think means to make it so that the front end of the brakes touch the rims before the back right? i read that this defiantly stops the brakes squeal for me it hasent worked

so can anyone tell me what else i can do, i have defiantly toed them in because i can visually see that when I brake the fronts touch first.
Also its only the front ones that squeal not the back ones and they only squeal when im riding at a decent speed lastly im positive none of the brake pads are touching the tyre

Please help thanks
Yeah, so putting lubricant on your brake pads is very bad.
Don't Ever Do That Again!

See, brakes slow you down by using friction against the rim to slow its rotation. Lubricants reduce friction. No friction means no brakes.

You need to clean your pads and rims very thuroughly to remove all traces of lube contaiminant before proceeding..
gummy residue of lube mixed with dirt and stuff can itself become a source of squealing

Since this is only the front brake that does it.... when you use the front brake are you only gingerly dragging the brake? or are you doing full handed endo stops?
I find that grabbing the front brake hard, deccelerates the bike faster than sqeal/vibrations can begin to resonate audibly.
Strong decceleration plus no sounds? That's a win-win for me. Practice doing controlled endos.

Or you can keep toe-ing the pads in, but that weakens the braking power....
The former solution works with how I ride, your methods may differ.