Old 08-22-05, 07:01 AM
slide
Riding a bitsa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by backinthesaddle
Slide, as far as body composition, I belong to a low-rent gym, I don't think they offer these services. also I've never used it so much that I ended up top-heavy, I've just seen the suggestion that an ideal cyclist physique would not be really pumped up on the torso.

I saw an ad in a catalog today for digital scales that claim to do a body composition calculation. I don't know whether they really work, I think I'll post a question in the training/nutrition section of Bike Forums.

In any event, I'm gratified to hear that my goal seems doable, and I intend to monitor my progress focusing on strength and fitness, not simply numbers on a scale.

thanks for your suggestions.
Some scales claim to check b.f. by measuring impedence. All the information I have on this says this is 100% bunkum. I would not trust these devices.

At least ask at your gym about calipers. The device is inexpensive so it's mostly doing the test consistently to get good comparisons. In fact, if you are married or have someone who you don't have a skin fetish with, buy your own set and DIY. It's easily doable. I'd say DIY solo, but the subconscious may cause you to cheat.

Here is one link:

Bodyfat calipers for sale

Perhaps you can donate these calipers to your gym in return for a lifetime of having someone measure you!