View Single Post
Old 11-25-12, 02:54 PM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Rescue a stripped-out Barcon wedge bolt?

I have an old Suntour Barcon that I'm trying to remove from my handlebar. One came out fine. Clockwise to loosen, etc. The other one is rounded-out -- the 6mm allen key can't get a purchase anymore. I've been soaking it in PB Blaster but with no purchase. The body will rotate with 10 lbs effort. Is there a way to get purchase on a rounded-out allen bolt? I don't have to use it often afterward. I just want to install it in another bar. Hopefully only one loosen and tighten. What about the Easy Out tapper? I just saw something like that at my hardware store -- it's made to smooth out a Phillips screw into a cone then grab that cone -- and turn counterclockwise. It seems to have 2 problems -- I don't have a Phillips "X" to grind/burnish out. Then it'll tighten not loosen. I guess I could saw apart the old cheapy 36cm original bars. Then clamp onto the base of the bolt to remove it, maybe. Ideas?

Also, do these things ever shift crisply? I've been having to shift a whole gear past then back again to get my gear. Like, from, say, the 15 to the 19 to get to the 17. Maybe if I install new housing and cables? Maybe the old rear derailler is flexied out and it's not the shifter. The bike and its parts are from 1976. Well, maybe some parts have been updated and I don't know how hard it was used. But I'd like to improve the shifting in some reliable way -- ideally with minimal fuss. I don't really want to change things that are working. I'm on a close-to-zero budget here. : )