Old 11-26-12, 03:42 PM
hagen2456

Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wsbob
Hagen...can you clarify what you've written about the amount you're aware the fine for cyclists not using hand signals can be?

I don't know what the amount of the citation is, but Oregon has a law addressing cyclists' failure to signal turns: http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/814.440

A difficult part of this law in Oregon is element (2), which says:
"(2) A person is not in violation of the offense under this section if the person is operating a bicycle and does not give the appropriate signal continuously for a stop or turn because circumstances require that both hands be used to safely control or operate the bicycle."
To articles at another weblog, I've read people's comments that occasionally express concern about cyclists' ability or lack of, to safely hand signal a turn and still be in relative control of the bike, applying brakes as needed. While many people experienced in biking may so to speak, 'know the ropes', with respect to the judgment and technique involved in being able on the bike to adequately display a hand signal, it probably goes without saying that many people as well, may not have that knowledge and technique. This is one of a number of issues associated with bikes and motor vehicles amongst each other on the road, that for people that bike, makes a good case for solid familiarity with bike in traffic techniques, widely introduced to everyone that bikes in traffic.
Actuallly, I was not completely right about the amount. Driver: 1000 DKK. Cyclist: 700 DKK.

But there are no exceptions in the Danish law regarding signs. You're supposed to be able to use them at any time. If not, you're going too fast, are riding a bike that doesn't fit you etc. And it's one of those things that parents will teach their kids when they learn to ride. They MUST be able to operate their bike with one hand on the handlebar, both left and right.