View Single Post
Old 11-27-12, 10:38 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
As the Pro4 is designed (in part) for improved cornering, I was thinking it would stick well when going slow (15mph) on a steep track with its wide contact patch in corners, and then have a narrow fast rolling contact patch at speed (over 30mph). I'm not quite sure how the Pro4's "compounds used for the shoulders that favours grip as the rider leans through corners." is going to be a drawback on a steep course. That where people tend to slide off (when going relatively slow).

With its aero profile, extra stick in slow corners, extremely low rolling resistance and ultra light weight, it seems like an ideal track tire to me. So far I’ve just ridden mine on the road, but it is a very nice piece of rubber.

Originally Posted by carleton
Tires with an evenly round profile feel most predictable on the track. Predictable is good.

My favorite tires are the Conti Steher (and similar tires) that have a very round profile and not a lot of rubber. Too much rubber can create "thread squirm" when pulling Gs in turns. Thread squirm is when the tire gets mushy under load. Picture a new pencil eraser. Notice how the rubber bends back and forth when there is lots of rubber. But, when the rubber is worn off, it doesn't wave back and forth so much. Believe it or not, you can sometimes feel thick tires (or under inflated tires) waving back and forth.