Old 11-27-12, 02:48 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I agree that it's strange that a company marketing an offset design as a sales feature wouldn't list the amount of offset as a spec.

My earlier posts on the subject were based on the symmetrical rim since that's the one I found when searching the rr440, and I thought the OP wanted to know the zigzag offset.
But the thrust of my posts remain unchanged. While an offset rim will help reduce the R/L tension imbalance, there's never enough offset to affect spoke length enough to factor in a spoke length calculation. If the OP is concerned, he can adjust the CTF measurements by ±5mm respectively and doing a test calculation. That may not be the exact offset, but is plenty close enough for spoke length calculations.
I agree for the most part...

What really gest me about his thread now though is the reply supposedly from DT Swiss. Most narrow OSB road rims will be +/- 2-4mm against hub offsets resulting in about .50mm in spoke length change....yet the DT Swiss reply when reverse calculated suggests an offset of 10.00-11.00 millimeters putting leaving the nipples embedded in the CNC work of the sidewall. (It's 21mm wide rim...)

Makes me wonder if the DT Swiss rep was just giving the respondee a quick off the head remark just to get them out of their hair...

=8-)

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life