View Single Post
Old 11-29-12, 09:16 PM
NDG
Bikes, science and snow

Bikes: Memento city bike 2023, Marinoni Turismo 2018, Trek Madone 6.5 2012, Norco Indie SS 2012 and CCM Motorbike 1928

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, no rust on the wheels after 4 years?

Originally Posted by roby
Gotta be kidding. My first winter was ridden on a Norco Wolvering $500 bike. I was slow... and slow and uncomfortable on rough sections. It had cable disk brakes and that's about the most high end feature it had. When year 2 came around, I needed a new bike becaus the bearings were shot, wheels were untrue, suspension(non-adjustable, no lockout) was leaking, brakes rode like crap on a good day. Got myself a $2600 Specialized XC Pro as I was doing a bit better for myself the next year. This will be the bikes 4th winter, but I also trail ride it a bit in the summer. I've replaced the front deraileur once and rear wheel bearings, that's all, in 4 years of slush, ice, jumps, rocks, salt. At least when I hit a pothold, take a drop on a flight of stairs or ride a rough section of ice, I have a sweet suspension to soak it up. When I want to do some speed because the roads clear up, I can lock it up and move, and when going uphill the bike doesn't weigh me down too much! Pay good money, get good components and actually enjoy riding. I've got some Schwalbe Ice Spikers, Light and motion 180 in theback and STELLA dual 600's in the front. This thing is nothing but trouble free fun! My only maintenance this year for the bike will be a new set of pedals. The bearings in my shimano clipless have gone, picking up a $50 set of PD-m520's on Saturday.

Hydraulic brakes FTW, so smooth even in freezing temperatures. IMO that's VERY important, especially when you're trying to modulate on ice, snow and slush.

Roby!
Happy Canadian Winter Rider