View Single Post
Old 11-30-12, 01:08 PM
wsbob

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wsbob
"...When discussing the legality of traffic movements, it is appropriate to use the word driver to designate each of the participants unless there is some peculiarity that requires one of the participants to be designated by some other word. ..." John Forester

I don't know that many people would consider them a 'peculiarity', but the many fundamentally relevant differences between bicycles and most motor vehicles are certainly essential to note distinguishing characteristics that most people would not wish to lose awareness of by the referring of people riding bikes and people operating motor vehicles, simply as 'drivers'.

"...The fact that drivers often complain about the failure of other drivers to provide proper signals for turns has nothing at all to do with the supposed collision reduction effect of signals. In fact, rather the opposite, since the complainants complain only of the failure to signal and not of the supposedly resulting collision." John Forester

The way you're describing whatever it is you're trying to say in this comment, I would say makes it virtually impossible for most people to understand.

I'll just say that commonly, people's reaction as road users ranges from concerned to very upset when from other road users, they do not receive indication of intent to turn by way of a displayed hand signal, in the case of someone riding a bike, or turn signal indicator light on a motor vehicle, in the case of someone driving a motor vehicle. Especially so after a close call or a collision. It's very important for all road users to display signals of intention to change direction, slow or stop, whether they're riding or driving. Hand signals, brake lights and turn signal indicators displayed, function as a form of communication amongst road users, and in that function, can be very helpful towards avoiding collisions and close calls between road users.
Originally Posted by John Forester
With respect to traffic law rules of the road, please describe the relevant differences between motorists, drivers of motor vehicles, and cyclists, drivers of bicycles, that are so important that they require specific distinguishing names be used in most discussions.

Really, I'm having difficulty understanding where you're going with this. "...motorists, drivers of motor vehicles, and cyclists, drivers of bicycles." That last phrase you wrote, "drivers of bicycles", is one I don't think I've ever read before now.