View Single Post
Old 08-22-05, 05:24 PM
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lego
So you use indexed shifters, then? What's the pull on them like? It's seems like they might be a little stiff to use. And what about the small lever size? Do you not find yourself missing the shifter sometimes.

Thanks for the help.
I've used both indexed and friction bar-end shifters. The front shifter is friction-only on ALL bar-end shifters I believe. On all the indexed models, you can toggle a switch to turn them into friction mode.

You're absolutely right, bar-end shifters feel a bit stiff in indexed mode, probably because you have less leverage than with a longer STI lever. Once you get used to it, it feels snappy. In friction mode you can adjust the stiffness by using the right combination of grease and preload on the screw that holds the lever in place.

I have fairly large hands (L size cycling gloves), and I can comfortably push my SunTour bar-end shifters with my fingertips on the handlebar and my palm on the lever. Or I can wrap my thumb, index, and middle fingers around the lever and move it that way.

I don't miss the STIs when riding with the bar-end shifters. But then again I do different types of riding with them. When I'm using STIs I'm usually going fast, heart pounding, need to shift and brake without taking my mind off the ride. With the bar-end shifters I'm usually focused on having a comfortable smooth ride. I like that I can downshift or upshift several cogs all at once, for example at stoplights or when I hit a big hill.

I say give 'em a shot... I got my friction Suntour shifters for $10, and a 7-speed indexed pair for free