Old 12-01-12, 10:05 AM
motorthings

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
sitbone pain (specifically ischial bursitis)

due to what I am guessing is a combination of ill-advised 2 week saddle switch mid-season, and muscle imbalance and increase in miles/strength this year, I have developed bursitis in my left ischial bursa. this is not a saddle sore, but is simply an inflammation of the bursa on the ischia. the pain has come and gone over a 6 month period, despite a couple of separate full weeks off the bike.

i switched back to my original toupe expert saddle that has served me without issue for the last 3 years, but the pain has not gone away. recently i switched to a fizik antares versus saddle, and the pain is better, but is still not resolving.

i get pain for the first hour or so of a ride, then it mostly goes away, but comes back when I am sitting (off the bike), or falling asleep at night. finally i started to take it more seriously, and have been icing it 5-6 times per day, taking naproxen, and sitting on an extra pillow in my office chair. i had a trigger point treatment for it the other day, and am scheduled to see a bodywork fitness guru who gets high praise from local cyclists for his ability to find and correct muscle imbalances and mis-fires.

i am curious if anyone else here has dealt with this kind of pain, and if they found relief in any other kinds of treatment (like cortisone injection).