Thread: Upgrade Casette
View Single Post
Old 12-02-12, 12:13 PM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by billydonn
Isnt there something else you want to buy to improve your bike? The cassette won't really change much. But if you can't think of any other cool stuff you want then by all means get the cassette.
No, it's a new bike and I already bought just about every gadget available:

tire liners (because the OEM's were the cheapest Bontrager available)
water bottle mounts & bottles,
tire pump, spare tube & tire irons, utility tool
Under-seat bag
Headlight
Tail light
Cycle computer
Fenders
Rear rack
Trunk with fold-out paniers
Kick stand

And, all of that is NOT because I'm a gadget freak -- but to make it a utility bike that I could ride anyplace, anytime, anywhere without the fear of it getting dark or cold or wet -- which might keep me from riding. (and besides, I have a little fast and fun Cannondale R500 that I can use to go fast)

But, I still want all of that to work well and shift well -- it's why I would like to get it all up to the SLX groupset level.

But, as several people have pointed out: changing the cassette will not improve it much.

Originally Posted by JanMM
Major advantage of more-expensive cassettes is lighter weight. Is that a major advantage?
Thanks: that is the kind of information I need. Obviously (from the above) weight is not much of a factor on this bike. Certainly a few grams would not make a difference...

Last edited by GeorgeBMac; 12-02-12 at 12:23 PM.