View Single Post
Old 12-03-12, 07:33 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Winning races helps keep me from burning out. True story.

If one is getting burnt it's a pretty good indicator that something is awry in the training plan.
Looking back, I think burned out was probably a bad term to use. I think frustrated with my training and unfocused are better phrases.

As I've mentioned several times, I tweaked my knee pretty badly in late August - doctor thought I had a partial tear of my patella tendon - and that completely derailed my off season plans. I had been pretty gung ho about training this fall to have a spectacular race season next year. But it has been a very slow healing process and only now, three months later, am I really able to start putting time in on the bike, and I am still not 100 percent. My fitness is awful and it is frustrating.

The hardest part has truly been the mental aspect. Going from riding five to six days a week to riding one to two days at most left me with a ton of free time that I really didn't know what to do with. I am optimistic that getting back to riding more regularly will help me regain my focus and motivation and reduce my frustration.