Steve0000

Bikes: LHT disc, Cannondale CAAD8, Cannondale Super 6, Avanti Agressor MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by raybo
Thanks for adding your insights.

I very much enjoyed my time in New Zealand and hope to go there again and ride a bike around.

We actually saw a piece of the NZ Cycle Trail being built near Rotarua on the North Island. It was off to the side of the main highway. It looked like a dirt/crushed gravel trail that would likely require wider tires.

We did a ride on the Otago Rail Trail, which is part of the Cycle Trail. The tires used on the rental bike were 2 inches wide and the trail was mostly small rocks on dirt. It added greatly to the cycling effort and created a fair amount of "tire noise." We enjoyed riding the trail (first time on a tandem!) but grew tired of the condition of the track. Eventually, toward the end, dirt had been laid down over the rocks and the trail became much more pleasant to ride. I do have to say that riding on a rock strewn dirt track for hundreds of miles would probably force me back on a low traffic, no shoulder highway.
I have info on NZ cycle touring at https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...c_id=5873&v=3o

which covers most of what has been discussed. The cycle trails are not suitable for the average tourer as mentioned above. Traffic is OK at all times of the year provided you plan your route on quieter roads rather than the main highways. I have mostly toured around Xmas and New Year with few problems. I get annoyed with cycle tourists who complain about the heavy traffic when they insist on cycling on SH1 and SH2. Get a decent map and find better and more scenic routes.