View Single Post
Old 12-17-12, 02:57 PM
bitingduck

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That does make a lot of sense. I seem to be leaning towards the omnium/scratch races. I like how it consists of a "race inside of a race" when trying to lap the field, plus it's not so nerve racking and have to do with the split second reactions. It's more of a long, first person to cross the finish line wins, but you have to get points during the race, hence "race inside of a race", and it seems more relaxed, yet still a lot of exciting racing happening all around the track at all times. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I still have to learn the types and differences of all of the races in velodromes.
Scratch races on the track aren't very relaxed once you get to a high level where everyone is fit. It's like a crit with all the boring parts removed-- the instant one attack starts to die out, the next one goes. Points races are races within the race, and lots of fun-- like a lot of little scratch races. When they get really fast it seems like they never stop ringing the bell. All mass start racing is full of split second decisions-- you're generally riding much closer together than on the road and there's a lot going on.

Seeing as you're in Canada, you probably also skate. That's about the best cross training there is for track racing.