View Single Post
Old 12-19-12, 11:32 AM
fettsvenska 

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Competition-1974 Raleigh Folder-1983 Austro Daimler-198? Fuji Monterey-Surly LHT-Surly Karate Monkey-Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
I'm a newbie to these forum but would consider myself an intermediate level cyclotourist and a decent shade tree bike mechanic.

The one piece of advice that has not been discussed in this thread that I think would be helpful to newbies is to try to acquire a few bicycle mechanic skills. I'm not suggesting that you become a full on bicycle mechanic but the more you know about how bicycles work, the better off you will be. For example, when I was a newbie I had no idea that left side pedals are reverse threaded. There are many simple adjustments that you can make to your bicycle that will save you a lot of time and make your riding more enjoyable. Here are a few things that I think most touring cyclists should be familiar with. None of these things is too difficult and there are plenty of resources on the web that adequately explain how these things are done. YouTube is a great resource and so is the Park Tool website. In no particular order...

1. change a flat
2. minor brake adjustments
3. minor derailleur adjustments
4. clean and lube the drivetrain parts
5. adjust the saddle
6. adjust stem/handlebar height

Maybe even a few other things to add to this list. These maintenance items are easy to do and require a minimal investment in tools and most of these tools are small enough to take with you. Also, many bike shops offer seminars covering basic bike maintenance, sometimes for free. Some bike shops even have open shop time where you can come to the shop and use their tools for a small fee like $5/hour.

If you are shopping for the old mountain bike to convert to a touring bike, learning how to do some maintenance and repairs can pay off big time. When you find that diamond in the rough you won't be paying for a bunch of expensive repairs, maybe just some parts.