Old 12-20-12, 07:17 PM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MadProphet
OK, I'm new to this whole bike game, but...what if he just wants to upgrade just to upgrade? (You know - GAS - gear acquisition syndrome) In most hobbies, that's a goal of a lot of players. When I had my Harleys - and I'm sure the same is true now - you could go to any HD dealer on any weekend and watch a veritable parade of bike owners in there buying bits of kit just to buy bits of kit. I put more money into my FatBoy than many people make in a year - just cause (at the time) I could. While I'd love to have some of that money back, I don't regret it.

I would like to upgrade my wheels and tires. I wish I could find a simple, concise 'instruction' web page on doing just that. "If this fits, you can use these" or "these are the measurements that matter" so I could look at the specs of my current gear and know what to buy - or what I CAN buy - to replace them.

As far as I know, nothing's wrong with what I have. I have the stock wheels, rims, spokes, hubs and tires. I'd like to replace the tires with something higher pressure and with more deliberate puncture protection, but aside from 700c x 38, I've no idea what I can use. I don't know where/what to measure to know if I can go wider and I'm pretty sure I don't want to go skinnier. I've straight up asked the LBS I got my bike from what tires I could upgrade to. They looked through their catalog and said I should keep these. Several things I've asked about got the same reception. I'm not sure if the bike actually has great gear or if they don't carry good gear. Most businesses are more than happy to replace perfectly good stuff with something 'better' cause they make money! I know my 8.3 doesn't have everything the 8.6 has, so I'm SURE there's some upgrades.

For wheels... honesty, I'd like something that has a bit more 'look' to them, number one. Number two, I'd like something designed to go tubeless, if I can. I'd like choices in that matter. I'd also like, given that I weigh 225-230, something TOUGH but without too much of a weight penalty. On the rear, I'm really considering having one built for an Alfine 11 hub. But I don't know enough to know what to look for in my new setup.

On another note, and beyond the simple GAS reason for upgrades, I'd like a spare wheelset with tires designed purely for street work. I have looked at a group ride coming up in Feb that will be 40 miles and I don't want to do it on my hybrid 60psi semi-knobby tires. I'd like something like a Schwalbe Marathon Plus (great puncture resistance plus higher PSI). No clue, none, zero, what wheels would be best. I don't know, when I read the sites that sell wheels, what will fit on my bike nor what the pieces add or take away from my current setup. I'd like to be able to look at a spec sheet and go, "oh, that will work for" and know the reasons.

I've asked around on forums, but get a lot of the same responses.

Obviously, my opinion is that if you want to upgrade or change something, you should do what your situation and desire allows you to do. At the same time, I hope people with more experience will temper that desire with some common sense, especially if you provide reasoning (outside that of just GAS) that is not well grounded.

. Any pages or sites you guys can point to or any guidelines you can offer would be much appreciated.
Very nice post and think you'll find bikes are a lot like motorcycles - lots of people (myself included) own multiple bikes and 'upgrade' just cause they can. So its not always a matter of "what should I upgrade to?" as much as "What would I like better?" And thats tough to answer.

The OP posted a link to a 2013 Raleigh Misceo 2.0 rigid front fork disc brake equipped hybrid. Technically you could swap out just about anything on the bike. Practically - there's nothing wrong with the bike as it is. So much of the discussion is going to be around where to start and how much to spend. The OP mentioned wheels. Nothing wrong with that. But there's probably still some question as to what 'upgrade' means. Is it aesthetic or performance? And whats the buget?

I'm working on a project of my own and its purely for aesthetics. Got the girlfriend a 2012 Giant Seek 1 which is an all black hybrid very similar to the Raleigh in many respects. My challenge is to 'pink it out' a bit cause Fanny is a bit of a girlie girl. So probably bar ends with pink bar tape, pink pedals and pink cable housing. Aside from that I managed to dig up some discontinued Hone brake/shifters just cause I have them and she adores them. Everyone has their own objectives and personally I'm still not at all clear on what the OP's objectives are.