View Single Post
Old 12-25-12, 06:55 AM
SoonToCruise

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cruiser Bike Sizing Help

So my girlfriend decided to buy me a bike I wanted for Christmas, or at least the style of bike I wanted. At Wal-Mart they had the Schwinn Admiral (which is not listed anywhere on their website, oddly) for sale that was exactly what I wanted; a bike with a simple speed setup, rear rack, and vintage design that I could ride around or to and from work at my leisure (when it warms up, of course.)

Unfortunately this bike is about 4 inches too tall; I 'nutted' myself trying to get on and off of it and the seat is down as far as it can go. Our friend is willing to buy it off of her for the price she paid because he liked it so much, so now I'm on the lookout for a bike of similar style that's small enough for me. I stand 5'9" and the bike's 'frame' (that's the length of the post the seat sits on as far as I've seen in guides and all) is 20 inches, so I'm guessing I need a 16-17" frame. The problem is that not a SINGLE one of the websites I find this bike on lists the frame size.

This is frustrating as, supposedly, the way you measure a 'cruiser' style of bike is by that frame, and all the sizing lists is the size of the tires and the dimensions that have nothing to do with the actual frame size. I'd like to know if anybody has any idea of where I can find this information or if they know, off-hand, bikes that would probably fit my size.

This is the bike in question (it's red instead of blue but it's the same frame type/style).

A few other styles I like are this and ones like this, but as I stated I can't even find remotely relevant sizing information and, before asked, no, none of these are available for me to check out in-store.

TL;DR - I'd like a cruiser style of bike for somebody with a height of 5'9" or so, likely with a 16 inch frame or so, that costs around $150-200. Brand loyalty is non-existent for me, so it doesn't matter if it's schwinn, huffy, etc.

Extra Note: Please, don't ask me to go to a specialty store. I told them the type of bike I wanted and along a 'lower price range' of around $200-300 and they threw me towards a $600 bike. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth to go to any shop, tell them what I'm looking for, and get a $300 upsale.

Last edited by SoonToCruise; 12-25-12 at 06:55 AM. Reason: easier reading