View Single Post
Old 12-25-12, 01:46 PM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Hmmmmmm ..... OK - lets throw a different slant to the question.

Personally I have no problem flying someplace and then renting a car. In fact - it usually works out cheaper in gas and saves time. Yup - I wouldn't do that without reserving in advance.

So when we look at a popular tourist destination like PEI, which has great beaches, lots of cycle friendly roads, organized cycling tours and ....... bicycle rentals; I can't see the big deal or risk involved in reserving and renting a bike for a week or two for the duration. Might still bring my own panniers and gear - might not.

If it was a extended tour of a month or more - I might make a point of contacting a dealer at the destination, buying in avance and have a bike waiting for me. Again - might bring some of my own equipment - might not. Personally I never travel without planning ahead, and insist on having a pretty good idea of what I'm in for. And in my experience - any city thats big enough to have an aeroport is going to have at least a couple decent bike shops.

There are some interesting tours offered in Europe that include the purchase of a BMW motorcycle - which can then be shipped back after the trip at a major advantage to buying one new in your home country. Or alternatively sold there.

I kinda think a bicycle could be handled the same way.