Thread: Trouser Trouble
View Single Post
Old 12-26-12, 12:14 PM
Hydrated
Reeks of aged cotton duck

Bikes: 2008 Kogswell PR mkII, 1976 Raleigh Professional, 1996 Serotta Atlanta, 1984 Trek 520, 1979 Raleigh Comp GS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Yes, they really reduce friction. People who use a hard leather saddle often find they need no other cycling-specific clothing; the padded shorts, etc. all become dispensable. The key is a hard, smooth saddle that supports you where you need support, and gives no unnecessary padding.
+1

I have witnessed many a flame war in these forums over Brooks saddles... but I have to say this:
Riding a Brooks saddle may change your cycling habits forever.

Many people misunderstand the purpose of cycling shorts with chamois in them. The chamois isn't primarily for padding... it's there to reduce friction between your butt and the saddle. A properly maintained Brooks saddle's smooth surface almost eliminates that friction. I own many pairs of cycling shorts that only get used for long rides. For anything under 40 miles or so, I wear regular unpadded Nike or Under Armor compression shorts or regular khaki cargo shorts. Cycling specific apparel is optional.

Just so you know how biased I am... I own 10 bikes and 9 of them are equipped with Brooks saddles.