View Single Post
Old 12-26-12, 02:22 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Burton
So just curious - I think we're discussing a $500 or $600 bike compared to whatever you paid out for what you got from Walmart. How much was that? Walmart do carry $1,200 bikes and those aren't exactly garbage - except when assembled by an ignoramus.
Exactly this. Walmart is but one example of mass market retailing. Target, Fred Meyers, and K-Mart all have sporting goods departments where low, mid and high end bicycles can be found. $500 spent at Walmart can buy you about as much (or as little) bicycle as $500 spent at an LBS. I don't shop at Walmart as a rule but when I was shopping for a low end tandem for me and the wife I looked at a number of option from various department stores and online drop shippers. To my eyes the Walmart Kent Dual-Drive tandem looks better than the tandems sold by Fred Meyer, Merlin and Micargi. The OEM V-Brakes stop as well as anything costing 3x as much. The only difference is the return springs on better brakes are stronger. Return springs don't stop your bike. Mechanical advantage stops your bike. Mechanical advantage is inherent in the design of the V-Brake no matter which unnamed Chinese factory puts it together. I support my LBS when possible and my other tandem is from an LBS. In other words... never say never.

H