Old 12-28-12, 08:44 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I consider helmet lighting to be secondary to bike mounted lights. I would never go with a rear helmet light alone. They are shining all over the place, not necessarily where you want them to be. Can't say I've ever seen one while driving, but riding with people with rear helmet lights make it pretty obvious that they should be secondary. Same many times over with bag lights. When someone in front of you virtually disappears in the darkness, it is scary.
I agree with that.. All my bikes are outfitted with seat-post mounts for rear lights. It is optional that I grab a helmet with a rear light on it. Just like I don't have a forward helmet light all the time, but I do have bar mounted forward lights all the time.

As far as which one can be seen, IMO, that is 50-50. The one on the helmet can be seen if a car is in front of other cars and the bike two or three car lengths ahead. The helmet light of the rider is visible. When a rider turns their head, that rear light on the helmet is still visible. Just my observation. IMO, the ideal would be front and back, is to bike mounted rear light or lights, and a helmet mounted rear light..