View Single Post
Old 12-28-12, 11:36 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by onespeedbiker
This may not be the norm but keep in mind what you are asking is outside the norm of some LBS.
I'd expect that a shop that spends upwards of $2k on a tool would know how to use it. However it's possible you ran into an employee who was more interested in trying to please, than knowing the limits of his knowledge. This is fairly common, years ago most shops had to keep the various cutting tools used in frame prep under lock and key.

Anyway 15g spokes are fairly rare, and I wouldn't be surprised if half the shop rats wouldn't notice if you didn't mention it. As for the length issue, the length stop on the Phil needs a bit of touch to produce consistent sizes.

I own a Phil machine (early serial#) and yet prefer to stock the 10% of sizes that I use 90% of the time. The Phil machine is for the 90% of the sizes that I only use 10% of the time. There's little or no discount for blank spokes vs cut and threaded ones, so hand threading all spokes is simply an unnecessary expense in time.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.