View Single Post
Old 12-29-12, 01:23 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Yup!
FWIW, I used Alfine and Nexus 8's with no issues (setup is key), so depending on what you mean by "finicky", it could be something that you can resolve with setup or perhaps warranty (if it is not setup related).

For my current bike, I chose to build the rear wheel with a Nuvinci N360 since I planned to use the bike on single track as well as on the road, and was not willing to risk a pricy Alfine 11 (with no warranty coverage for offroad use).

First off, I really like the Nuvinci overall. It has a slightly different "feel" than the Alfine - less mechanical - which took a little getting used to. Here's my quick and dirty synopsis:

The Good:
- allegedly maintenance free. The hub is factory sealed with its own proprietary fluid, and is "designed" to not need maintenance.
- Very smooth, and very little "drag" if you are a "spinner" (80-100 rpm pedal cadence). The drag is more noticeable if you are a "masher", but that is bad form/less efficient anyway
- Designed to take high torque (e-bikes), so these hubs are getting a reputation for being pretty bombproof and reliable.
- continuously variable gearing, so you never have to deal with a "gap" between gears (such as the one between 5 and 6 on the Alfine)

The "eh" (i.e. not "bad" in my book, just not preferable or could be better IMO):
- 1 pound heavier than an Alfine 8 speed hub. I only notice this when I lift the bike. I can't really tell much of a difference when I bunny hop.
- The grip shifter spans the entire 360% range of the hub in 3/4 of a turn, so I've needed to learn how to make REALLY small micro-turns to fine tune the gear to my pace. IMO I'd rather have a shifter that makes smaller adjustments, but I've adapted.

I have not found any things about the hub that I would consider "bad" yet.

Here's a shot of mine:

Attached Images