Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Getting Around the Eastside: Tractorlegs vs. the Map

Nobody knows a city as well as a dieting cyclist. Since I moved into my current home about 9 years ago, from my bike saddle I have investigated and researched every single street and alleyway within a 15 mile radius. I know every street, every alley, every sidewalk that it's ok to jump up on, every sidewalk I should stay the he11 off of, every parking lot shortcut, the busy streets I can ride, the busy streets I need to stay away from, every dog and most of their names. A lot of people know me, too - people I have never met. "There goes that old bike guy again!" I know all the grates on the streets, all the angled railroad crossings, and the exact location of every bike rack. I can even chart the location of most of the neighborhood Goathead weeds.

The problem is, if I'm behind the wheel of a car I have no idea how to get from point A to point B. If my wife says "Let's go to Village Inn for breakfast" I know exactly where it is - but am pretty much clueless on how to get there unless I drive the route that I would have normally bicycled. Yesterday we went out in the car, and she asked "Why did you go down this street?" and I answered "Because the buildings are taller and they block the headwind. Duh"

Ah, the life of an urban cyclist. 20 pounds to Goal!! Ride Free!