Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mdilthey
Hi guys,

I know nothing about chemicals, vulcanization, etc.

Can I use tire patches and tire patch glue on a thermarest air mattress, or vice versa? Carrying one instead of both saves weight.
The answer you're looking for is provided in the FAQ for Thermarest on the Cascade Designs website, with a minimum of technobabble:

How do I repair my Therm-a-Rest mattress and/or obtain warranty service?

• Small leaks not requiring a patch: A urethane-based glue should be used. Some popular brands are SeamGrip[SUP]®[/SUP] and AquaSeal[SUP]™[/SUP]. Apply a small dab, large enough to completely seal the hole, and allow 24 hours for drying. If your mattress fabric is relatively smooth like the NeoAir or Trail mattresses, peel-and-stick bicycle tube patch kits are an option offering instant repair.
  • Larger holes and tears: All mattresses can be repaired with a self-adhesive fabric patch—like those used to repair jackets and tents. These are commonly found in outdoor gear shops. Cut the patch in a circle to generously cover the hole. Apply a small amount of urethane-based glue to the back of the patch and the area to be covered on the mattress. Apply patch and press firmly. Wipe away excess glue from edges and allow 24 hours to dry.
However, if you move to self sealing tubes like the Michlin Protek Max, or preload your tubes with Zefal sealant, you can leave the patch kit at home. SeamGrip[SUP]®[/SUP] or Outdoor Goop is something you'd be better carrying anyway as it'll cover more bases.

Last edited by Burton; 12-30-12 at 10:12 AM.