View Single Post
Old 12-30-12, 12:17 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by chucky
. So if your emergencies are that bolts are just coming loose for no reason, then I submit there is something wrong with your assembly technique.
Well, I'll have you know I don't, and haven't, had bolts on my bike come loose at the side of the road either but I have used my multitool to fix those on other rider's bikes. I used my Park "Dogbone" (MT-1) to tighten the crank bolt on another rider's bike when the crank nearly came off on an organized ride and I've used the Ritchey CT-5 mini chain tool to repair the chain of another rider who damaged his when he caught a stick in it. Neither repair was shop-quality but they got them home without walking or a cell phone call.

The point of all of this is that multitools can be helpful but for routine use there are better tools.

Please be aware that your OP started out describing a problem with a Bikes Direct bike. Based on many, many postings here reporting dreadful misadjustment and poor assembly of Bikes Direct bikes, the first response was to think it was just another case of that. Your impassioned defense of the BD bike was a bit of a surprise.

Last edited by HillRider; 12-30-12 at 12:22 PM.