View Single Post
Old 12-31-12, 09:07 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekdog
Many of us have come to the conclusion that the obsession with the accumulation of objects often does not lead to happiness. In my case, this doesn't mean I don't derive pleasure from owning nice things (well-made bicycles and accessories are my weak spot), but it's being able to spend time with friends and family that's important.
And that is your philosophy. Some of us don't exactly see their friends often and have seemingly more help ONLINE. Bicycles are not my only interest. I want to make excellent tape recordings and produce my own music and create video. I have a first cousin who is a professional photographer and videographer and a local friend who has been both and an entepreneur for inspiration. I want to repair my gear and equipment and to that end I have collected the necessary test and repair equipment for years.

For every Buddhist-like soul there must be the properly materislistic who engage what they own to create and change both their lives and society. One starts to perceive an attitude that it is a sin to pursue a dream and a comfortable lifestyle as they wish.

I have ONE working PC and chassis in wait to replace it. I think iThings are a bit ludicrous when I can ride a nice bike but I also cannot afford to drive anymore and this really hurt when my father was dying, but forty miles away. I wanted a (70 mpg at 70 mph) Honda Helix ~250 cc maxi-scooter to be able to travel on the highway and I would not dare to ride a bicycle down Interstate 84, it's far too dangerous. I have a pair of giant Honda Aspencade saddlebags to install on my Schwinn, for carrying groceries instead of paperboy baskets. They have lighting and reflective sections and hence they are useful and not merely vain.

If you want to live sparsely with a small phone that supposedly tells you all you need to know, fine. You are still going to look long and hard for recordings of music and sights you've never dreamed of or knew you loved, simply because 99% of life is not documented on a storage device and networked.

The experience of life is personal and must be met head on. Not every man is going to do this the same way. Please do not lump the truly curious as purveyors of sloth. Many of them have done as they pleased with next to no money (yours truly among them).

Everyone can admire your modest lifestyle but don't assume it is the true root of happiness and pleasure. Being human requires sharing and interaction and it can be sadly absent for many.

Live well and live as you need.

Last edited by Rollfast; 12-31-12 at 09:18 AM.