Old 12-31-12, 09:10 AM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Fly
"Friction" and "8 speed" are not exactly compatible. Maybe you mean 8-speed with the option to switch to friction, ala some of Shimano's downtube and barend shifters? If that's the case, why not try to score some NOS 8-speed DT or BE shifters? They're not really that rare on eBay but I'll hazard a guess that the sales rate is low enough that big-time manufacturers like Shimano really wouldn't be interested. Smaller companies like IRD may be interested, but their current offering only has a 9-speed only barcon.
Can you explain what you mean by 8 speed is not compatible with friction shifting? I read many comments from people saying the thinner chain on a 9 speed drivetrain made it more difficult to change speeds. And on a 10 speed drivetrain, it was questionable whether you wanted to use friction shifting.

This is not about the Deore thumb shifters selling on eBay for $250. I am impressed though by the thinking of the other posters here. I'm relieved to see other people sharing my general point of vue on friction shifting. And I appreciate the variety of ideas expressed here.