Old 12-31-12, 06:13 PM
lilpoindexter

Bikes: 2013 Fuji Absolute 1.4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fuji Absolute 1.4

Here's my Fuji Absolute 1.4. $650 from Performance Bike.
My old bike was a Univega Via Montega from the late 90s...Crome moly frame and forks, 21" seat post, 22.5" long top frame tube, 29 pounds
The Fuji Absolute 1.4 has an aluminum frame, carbon fork, 21" seat post, 23.5' long top frame tube, 24.5lbs, buck naked straight from the store.

The big difference you feel is just the general lightness and lack of mass with the new bike. Even changing directions doesn't require a push, really more of nudge to steer. I rode it 30 miles straight after picking it up. It didn't feel that much different at first, but then I'd frequently look at my GPS and see I was traveling at 20mph without much effort...Just putting out a mild effort and cruising along, my speed averaged 14.2mph, whereas with the old bike i would typically average around 11 or 12 mph.

The old bikes more massive steel frame helped damp out vibrations...this thing with an aluminum frame and carbon fork...HOLY SMOKES...I can feel every single bump, pebble, rough surface telepathically right through the frame. i was peddling on asphalt at first and i thought something was wrong with the crank bearings...but it was really just the asphalt surface i was feeling...once I got on concrete, I was feeling every expansion joint...BAM BAM BAM. The bike has nice grips, that can you can feel damp vibration, but the whole bike just seems more alive...maybe a little twitchy compared to the old one.

The extra length in the top frame tube also has me hunched over more than the old bike...not uncomfortably, just different.

I'm just a noob that's been riding for a little over a year, but I think if you are thinking of a Trek 7.3 or 7.4, (as I was) you owe it yourself to at least test drive one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
along trail.jpg (85.2 KB, 181 views)
at beach.jpg (63.9 KB, 172 views)
at park.jpg (58.8 KB, 141 views)