Old 01-01-13, 10:31 AM
MadProphet
Drink my Koolaid

Bikes: 2013 Trek DS 8.3 (sold) '13 Trek Domane 2.0 (sold) '18 Trek Super Commuter 8s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wrk101 and Burton: After all this (and other discussions as well) - that's exactly what I'm going to do. The stock wheel set is $51 for the front plus $75 for the rear. I'll find out tomorrow if that's inclusive of brakes and cassette, but even if not, I'll simply add them.

I stated at the beginning I didn't want to spend a lot of money - there's no sense (that I can figure) in putting a $600 wheelset on a $600 bike. I'll ride this one till summer and keep it for what little off-roading I will do but I know now I want a flat bar road bike. The heavy Suntour suspension fork is not needed. And for reasons I've already outlined, I want better components. My reasons are good enough for me.

My tires are here and hopefully the bike store I purchased from will have the wheels when I go tomorrow. I'd love to start riding on the new tires by next weekend. It's time for a tuneup (which I have scheduled for tomorrow morning) so perhaps they can get that rear-D working better and the rear brake. If adjustments are all that's needed, I'll ride for the rest of the winter/spring with no complaints. February 10 is a local ride of 40 miles. It will be my longest ride ever and my first group ride. It's what I've been building up for and why I've been seeking some road components. To be honest, I'm not sure if it's not all an exercise in futility as my back may stop me long before I make 40 miles. I'm "training" for it now and next week, according to my schedule, I'll be trying a 30 mile ride. I should know then if it's all folly.

I've been seriously looking at the Spot Acme for my upgrade (plus adding a two speed Patterson crank). I'm going up to Portland during this month and I'll try one out then. Looks like a nice compromise and I absolutely like the belt and IGH driveline. On my 'bent trike, that is what I always hankered for - but there are no belts for trikes....yet.

One more thing: I appreciate so much the help and tone of folks here. Many times on forums, no matter what the OP (or sometimes, anyone, posts - it's attack time. I expected some to attack because they don't want it changed or they love their 8.3 and why shouldn't I or cause they love the attack. I didn't get that here. Instead, even if I was responding with disagreement of opinions, I got great suggestions and feedback. That's just so cool and speaks a great deal to the people who are here. Thank you.