Old 01-01-13, 09:59 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by GeraldF
According to Mikael Colville-Andersen, of Copenhagenize Consulting, approximately 80% of people in Copenhagen store their bikes outdoors 24-7-365. This despite the fact that bike theft is rampant. When asked for advice on combatting rust, he replied, "the more rust the better."

One thing interesting to note is that the Danes generally ride extremely heavy bicycles. On the surface this would seem like a barrier to making cycling convenient, but it actually is one of many reasons that so many people ride in cities like Copenhagen. If bikes there were lightweight, more people would carry them indoors, in turn making utility cycling inconvenient. Just as there's "safety in numbers" in terms of riders, a similar phenomenon occurs regarding theft. If there are 500 bicycles locked up overnight within a one block radius, what's the chance that YOUR bike will get stolen? Again, theft is commonplace in Copenhagen, but the Danes accept it rather than fear it.

Obviously, any of you out there that spent $1,000+ on a luxurious, unnecessarily lightweight racing bike would never lock your bike up outdoors overnight. This post is geared more towards those with a utility bicycle used for quick errands to destinations generally 0.5 to 3 miles away. Having a bike locked up in front of your doorstep is a HUGE convenience for anyone who'd otherwise have to carry the bike up steps.

This is totally hypothetical, but I really do think that if bikes weighed as much in the US as they do in Denmark, cycling numbers would skyrocket in US cities. Basements and garages thwart all attempts to lure in would-be riders.

Thoughts?
You can buy bikes just like they have in Denmark here in the US. They sell about as well as an icemaker does to an Eskimo so I dare say it is very unlikely bike sales woukld sky rocket. Secondly we have "hills" even long over passes that will bring a bike like they sell in Denmark to a dead stop. Lastly you need to consider how the American consumer would feel about seeing something like this every month or so. http://www.demotix.com/news/1128886/...#media-1128860 No I don't think going back to the old tanks we once rode will increase bike sales here. Better folders might. I know for a fact if the best I could do is get a old Omafiets then I would buy a E-bike and pay to have a place to lock it up. By the way a Omafiet is not inexpensive. so if you don't care if it gets ripped off take a look at what the cost is when some takes one from out front of yourt place. http://www.workcycles.com/home-produ...ch-granny-bike

Last edited by Mobile 155; 01-01-13 at 10:03 PM.