Old 01-02-13, 03:20 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Unless you cut off the CS at the end of the shell's socket and then grind out the remaining CS. Depending on the fit of the replacement using Silver might be able to be used for the rebrazing.

But this is a lot of work for more clearance. before I'd suggest replacements I'd indent the origonal CSs. A simple rounded form of the correct diameter pressed into the CSs should do it, as mentioned. I don't think a hydrolic press would be needed. A big hammer is how I'd start. Andy.
Originally Posted by cycle_maven
I've successfully indented chainstays to increase tire clearance. I fabricated a die out of a short round piece of bar stock about 3/8" diameter brazed to a plate, and semi-circular cut in a block of plastic for the outside of the chainstay, and used a 3" narrow-jaw vice to press the die into the inside of the chainstays, covering both with small pieces of leather to keep from marring the paint. It worked beautifully. Added a good 5 mm more clearance on each side.

This won't increase the stiffness, and may require some cold-setting to realign the rear triangle afterwards. It's easier with high-ten chainstays.
Yes, I spoke with a frame-builder who suggested denting the chain-stays and re-alignment of the rear triangle. He had a frame on hand that he had dented and the workmanship looked good. I'm seeking 4mm greater clearance, just 2mm on each stay. The existing chain-stays are round and the material is Columbus SP. The job should go well. I'll post before and after pics later this month.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.