View Single Post
Old 01-02-13, 04:12 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm really not a ride policeman. I know what to expect on group rides. Back before I trained with structure during the season, I used to do group rides during the week to get a workout. So I understand why someone would want to hammer on the flats and wait for the others to catch up. Except that this is January in New England, the ride was billed as an easy ride for everyone, and the winds were brutal. Visibility wasn't great due to the blowing snow, and riders were getting blown around, with a single lane, yellow line, and a few feet of frozen snow in the shoulder. The smart thing to do, the safe thing to do, would be to stick together. Town line sprints were deemed verboten, but there were enough short climbs on the route to get your ya-ya's out. There was absolutely NO reason for that kind of behavior on that ride, at that time, in those conditions. It was simply selfless and uncaring. I felt bad for the guys who were at once in a group with shelter and within seconds were struggling madly in groups of one or two. Not once did the gang dropping the hammer look back to check on the others. It was just plain sad.

I am not going to be racing with this club in 2013. I'm sure I am going to get some feedback at the club meeting next month. But I will be there to pick up my check, and pick up my check I will.