View Single Post
Old 01-02-13, 08:51 PM
gschultz311

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Red face Solution: How to import custom routes to a Garmin Nuvi

Symptoms: You transfer a custom route to your Garmin nuvi but it doesn't appear in the Custom Routes list.

Cause: Garmin forgot to mention that you need to "import" the transferred file before you can use it.

Solution:
  1. Get the route on your PC. Either download a GPX file or create your own custom route using a tool like Garmin's BaseCamp (replaced MapSource in 2012). Free download here: http://www.garmin.com/en-US/shop/downloads/basecamp
  2. Using BaseCamp, transfer the custom route to your GPS. You can save it to the devices internal memory or to a SD memory card in the device.
  3. On the GPS device, click Tools > My Data > Import Route From File. Select the route(s) you transfered in Step 2 and click Import. Your route(s) is/are now ready to use via the Where To? > Custom Routes feature.

Enjoy!!

Originally Posted by Steve in MA
I've posted this issue to a couple of GPS forums with no responses, so figured I would try here. I have a Gamin Nuvi 500, which I bought specifically because it has different modes for use in your car and on your bike. For bike use, I want to be able to create routes (on mapmyride or similar tools) and download them into the unit.

I've followed the (lousy) Garmin instructions as well as instructions from several forums, and can create a route and move it to the Garmin\GPX folder on the unit itself. However, I'm supposed to then go into the MyData item on the menu and choose "import." I have the latest version of the software (updated it twice yesterday to make sure), but there is no "import" choice under My Data or anywhere else in the menus/sub-menus.

Does anyone have experience with this unit? Any suggestions? I'll try contacting Garmin during business hours on Monday, but from what I hear that will pretty much be a waste of time.

Thanks!