View Single Post
Old 01-02-13, 08:58 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by southpawboston
....I forgot to mention, I could feel the binding when I dismantled the FD and removed the spring. At about the middle of the range of the cage travel there was considerable resistance. Once overcome, the cage could continue to the end of its travel. It wasn't a completely free-swinging mechanism.
It's possible that the body is damaged so the 2 pins aren't perfectly parallel now. Another place to look is where the legs of the spring meet the cage and arm. When the FD moves the leg slides a bit against the stop. Possibly a groove or notch was worn in there.

I suggest you take it off the bike, and work the mechanism in your hand and see if you can spot exactly where and why it sticks. Some times these respond well to a bit of manhandling, twist the cage back and forth against the body, and it might settle back home.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.