View Single Post
Old 01-03-13, 01:26 PM
kerispring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
any other vintage triumph riders/owners

Hi all, my first post here. I'm in the process of buying my first vintage bike, and various searches for information kept bringing me to posts on here, so I thought perhaps I should join :-)

I've been interested in all things vintage, mainly clothes and mainly 40s/50s for many years. I used to own a 60s vw bay camper that my husband was helping me slowly do up part by part but it had to be parked outside, and obviously looked too interesting as it was regularly broken into, so I eventually decided it needed to go to a home where it could be better looked after and I sold it on. Since then I've been musing about what could keep me as amused and the idea of a vintage bicycle kept coming up. But, vintage bicycles have become more and more popular over this side of the pond in recent years. Harder to find and more expensive when you do!

I honestly wasn't fussed by what my first bike would be so long as it was at least a few years older than me (34) and had a bit of character, and I think I may have found it. A Triumph has come up locally and I'm just waiting for the owner to get back to me with a good time to go round and it (should be!) all mine. My dad is also into vintage bikes of the motorised variety and has an old Norton, so having a triumph for that reason entertained me, although I've done some reading so do realise when I finally get to date it its very likely to turn out to be a raleigh in disguise :-)

I'm hoping I've managed to attach a picture. It single speed. The owners do not know its age but it was bought second hand in the early 70s by their mother and has been kept in their garage for the past 26/27 years. The only serial number they could find was under the seat; 40498N with a letter T underneath. I've tried looking up serial numbers online but this didn't really make much sense to me. I understand there is a chance that the rear hub will have a number when I see it which may give me a better idea.

I'd love to hear about other people's adventures with their vintage triumphs (and raleighs if that's what it is), and I'd love to pop by to let you know how I'm getting on (or possibly repeatedly badger people for advice!)

Keri x
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ladiestriumph.JPG (67.4 KB, 32 views)