Old 01-03-13, 06:28 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I'll answer in the opposite order.

Dave said: I think I know what the crank is, but exactly what is the cassette? The 8 gears? Years ago, I don't remember it being called a cassette.

Yes, the cassette is the 8 speed gear cluster. You probably remember freewheels which screwed onto the hub and included the ratcheting mechanism. Cassettes are just the gear cogs and they slip over the freehub which includes the mechanism.

Dave said: Again, good news. Would it be a big deal, should the 8 speed rear fail, to upgrade the rear to a better gear set?

Replacing with better 8 speed components is as simple as buying and replacing. To move to 9 or 10 speed would require changing rear derailleur, shifters, cassette and chain. You might also need to change the chainrings or crankset and front derailleur, but maybe not. 8, 9 or 10 speed cassettes will fit on your freehub.

You can learn much at Sheldon Brown's website.