View Single Post
Old 01-05-13, 03:32 AM
cpg

Bikes: Mezzo I4, Trek 1200, Rudge (Montague) BiFrame, Bickerton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On boxing day I was visiting family in the Malverns and took the Mezzo out for ride. Big mistake, the I4 is not the correct tool for the job, ran out of gears up hill and ran out of gears down hill. The experience convinced me that while the 4 speed hub is fine around town I need something more versatile.
I have just bought a mildly used 24 speed Sram dual drive hub. I am new to these hubs and have few questions for you Bhkyte.
1. Did you consider lasing the 36 hole hub to the existing 28 hole rim? Was it just easier to build onto a new 36 hole rim?
2. You talked in an earlier thread about using either the click box or a toggle changer. What's the advantage/disadvantage of the two? Is the toggle changer something you adapted from Sturm Archer or is it a proper Sram part?
3.My 4 speed hub is a grip shifter but I want to replace this with trigger shifters for both the new derailier and the hub. Do Shimano shifters work with the Sram hub? I had assumed that STI levers pull the same amount of cable as trigger shifters.
Thanks in advance.